Friday, August 30, 2013

Tebow + Patriots = ...

I’m a lifelong New England Patriots fan.  As a fan of any Boston area team (except for the 80’s Celtics), I had to see a lot of bad before the good started happening. I appreciate what has occurred in the last 12-13 years, and I know that as soon as Tom Brady is gone, we will probably be back to watching a mediocre team again.  I’m fine with this, because I try not to dwell on the negative.  I don’t believe a fan can complain if their team has won the big one fairly recently.  This isn’t Cleveland, for example, where those fans haven’t seen any championships since the Indians won in 1948. 

I am an Atheist.  I don’t believe in god.  I say this as a prelude to the following statement: I like Tim Tebow.  I think he is a good human being, and I admire the fact that his faith has driven him to do a lot of good in the world, even if I don’t share those beliefs.  Anything I have seen or heard of/from him as a person is extraordinary.  His mother and father seem like the types of parents everyone should strive to be.  I also think he has that special something that makes him a tremendous leader in the community and on the football field.  If I had a son (or daughter) I would be thrilled if they selected Tim Tebow as a second male role model after me.  However…

Tim Tebow will not, nor should not, be a New England Patriot in the 2013 NFL season.  The man lacks the advanced skill set required to succeed at quarterback on that level.  This is not news, I realize, but I wanted to be the 34,567,987th football fan to say it.  Anyone who thinks he can just flip the switch and become a tight end or H-back is being very disrespectful to those positions and the men that play them.  He is just plain done.

 His presence at training camp has been a breath of fresh air during a difficult time to be a Patriot fan.  I sincerely wish he was better, because having a guy like Tebow as one of your teammates has to be fantastic.  He doesn’t strike me as the type of guy that throws his faith in your face if you don’t want it, and he cares deeply about the team and winning games.  My idea is to convince him that he is no longer a football player, and hire him as part of the front office.   He could be a valuable member of the public relations team, because if anyone always says the right thing, it’s Tim Tebow.

I know that whatever Tim Tebow in his life he will succeed at.  Well, except NFL quarterback.  No amount of will and faith will help him there.


No comments:

Post a Comment